One of the main sources of employment law in Israel can be found in collective employment agreements, typically entered into by Israel's largest trade unions on the one hand and employer organisations on the other. Collective employment agreements apply to certain industries or workplaces and may even extend to protect private sector employees, even if the employees are not members of a union.
We have extensive experience advising our clients on the effect of any relevant collective employment agreement. Our expertise includes:
- Reviewing employment agreements in order to ensure their compatibility with any applicable collective employment agreement
- Advising of any terms implied into any employment agreement by virtue of any applicable collective employment agreement (broadly, without union approval, these terms cannot be "contracted out of")
- Negotiating with trade unions on any derogations (or "contracting out") from any provisions of a collective employment agreement applicable to the client's workplace
- Advising clients on the procedure for termination of employees who benefit from any collective employment agreement
- Advising clients embarking on a change of control, redundancy programs or changes in work conditions, on any necessary consultation obligations set out in any applicable collective agreement
- Negotiating collective employment agreements with the representatives of employee unions