Tal Band is a member of the Executive Board and of the Management Committee, and is the Chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Tal represents high-profile clients in litigation before the Israeli civil courts and the Patents and Trademarks Office on all matters relating to patents, trademarks and copyright issues. He represents local and foreign clients in complex litigation to protect their intellectual property rights, including know-how and trade secrets. Tal also represents Israeli clients with global operations across multiple jurisdictions, in close cooperation with leading litigators in the UK, the United States, and worldwide. Tal has been described by Chambers Global as "a fantastic IP trial lawyer who is intelligent and can be counted on for first-class legal work", as well as being "one of, if not the most gifted litigators in the country", by the World Trademark Review.
Tal’s clients are leading players in the pharmaceuticals, life sciences, telecommunications, media, manufacturing and retail sectors.
The world’s top-ranking legal guides regularly single Tal out as a first-tier Intellectual Property litigator in Israel.
Tal has been serving as President of the Israel Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (AIPPI) since 2004 and is active in the international leadership of that organisation. He was a member of various public committees of experts appointed by the Government of Israel to review legislation in various fields, in particular the Law Revision Committees overseeing the Patents Law, the Trademarks Law, application of the TRIPS agreements, practice and legal proceedings before the Patent Office and the Standards Law. Tal played a key role in negotiations with the United States Trade Representative on the scope of IP protection in Israel.
Tal is a regular contributor to practitioner and international reference books on IP, and has written the Israel chapters in the following legal works:
- Thou shalt not covet the public domain: Israeli Registrar of Patents denies patent protection due to lack of utility, insufficient disclosure and covetous claims (Lexology, March, 2015)
- Country Q&A on patentability (Lexology, November, 2015)
- Patent Claim Interpretation: Global Edition (Thompson Reuters/Westlaw 2012-2013).
- Case documentation: Amending Patent Claims after Publication for the International Law Office (January, 2011)
- Amending patent claims after publication contributed (International Law Office, January, 2011)
- Co-authored the Israeli edition of WIPO’s guide: Making a Mark – an Introduction to Trademarks for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (2010)
- Country Q&A on Regulation of Pharmaceutical Products in Israel for Practical Law’s Life Sciences 2009/10.
- International Intellectual Property Litigation (FT, Sweet & Maxwell 1997)
- The Intellectual Property World Desk Reference (Springers)